Sunday, December 14, 2008

Moving Out

Moving Out is a book that I have had the recent pleasure of experiencing. It is a collection of photos and thoughts by Jewish-Swiss photographer Robert Frank. In his collection, you can see a definite progression of Frank's work, thoughts, and experiences. In some way, I feel as though this blog has been that for me.

Tomorrow, I finish moving out of my original housing with two lovely English speaking girls, into a home of solely speaking Italian girls. Through the process of moving, I have reorganized my work (realizing I bought way too much crap that I am not using), had several thoughts (why did I pack this crap; I need to send it home), and can share the following experiences.

1. Have you ever moved without a car?! Yeah, my friends Alessandro and Riccardo helped me, but to keep my items safe, they parked the car at their job. Wow, nice I thought, but you have to go and get the car. Mental Note, if an American asks you, "Do you want to take the bus or walk to get the car?" Say 'walk.' If an Italian says, "Preferici l'autobus o in piedi?" (see above) Say, 'l'autobus!!' In addition, if they add, "un passigate" (a little walk,) DON'T BELIEVE THEM!!! Unfortunately, no one warned me and I said, "si, un passigate, buono!" (yes, a little walk, great!) Little did I know 30-40 minutes later we would arrive at the car. I am glad I had on my Mizunos! In addition, I offered to pay Alessandro, you know 'cause gas is high in the states, but its REAL high here, plus they sale it by the liter! "Excuse mi! No!" Apparently I totally insulted him. My Bad... but it is OK for me to cook dinner for them. Who knew, people around the world are willing to work for food.

2. With my new apartment comes a great old bike (no gears, a non working light, a bell and a basket.) I bought it off the girl who moved out. Well, I am not sure if you have ever cycled before or just rode a bike at the park. I thought walking was crazy in Florence, biking is a whole 'nother level!! Mind you, I cycle at home, so I am use to having my feet "clipped" in. This is literally your foot attached to the pedal. So mentally my body acts like my feet can't move. Further, I usually have a bike shoe and not heels. Finally, have you ever had a guy try to pick you up on your bike, from his bike. *insert riotous laughter here* Yet another thing to add to my Italian Men Post.

So now what...
I need to turn in the old keys.
I have to clean both apartments.
I desperately need to figure what is being mailed home to momma and what is staying.
I need to pack, because I'll be home for Christmas!

Ciao Ragazzi!

No comments: