Monday, September 19, 2011

Wwwwhhhhhhheeeeeee!

Here we come!
Happy Monday!

I am sure, like most folks, you make the most of your weekends. Often to short, I try to pack in a punch!

This past Saturday I had the opportunity to visit Six Flags Great America with Someone Special. Located between Chicago and Milwaukee in Gurnee, IL, this is a place that neither one of us has visited since 1993. Walking forward it was grounds for instant nostalgia and moments to quickly reminisce about the last time we walked through these gates. As we were approaching the entrance, I started to get a little nervous, I mean, I hadn't been on a roller coaster since I was 18. Needless to say, I am no where near 18 now and all I could think was, this may hurt tomorrow! Reassured by Someone Special that it would be fun and I will enjoy all the rides, we proceeded forward.

We could NOT of picked a better day! The lines were literally non-existent! There were several times where we walked right up and got in the waiting car. The first ride, "The Whizzer," was a nice "warm-up" of what lay head for our day's journey. As we proceed up the stairs, from ride to ride, to wait briefly to take our car together, I started to reflect on my past two years.

 I am now, totally living in Milwaukee-- job + art = living. I mean, I have an actual zip code folks, so there is no running back to the rolling hills of Tennessee! Well, at least no time soon. I started thinking how in some ways, just like on these crazy rides, I have been thrown about from side to side, but had friends and family in the "same car" with me. Holding on, cheering me on, encouraging me along the way.  I still wonder sometimes how I ended up back in the Mil, but I am often reminded... all things work together (Romans 8:28) and while it may not feel like it, it still does. And even when I would exit from a few of these rides, disoriented and trying to get my balance again, Someone Special was right there to hold my arm, my hand, and hold me up right!

I am glad to report, one of the last rides of the day was "The Superman!" I can't explain it, but I was really exited to get on this ride. Maybe because I love comics and Wonder Woman and Superman are two of my favorites. (Side Note, why doesn't WW have her own ride!?) Perhaps it's because you really had the chance to feel like you were flying, like you were on top of the world! And yes, here comes the analogy... Life IS like a roller coaster with all it's ups and downs and swirls, quick starts and stops, big climbs and steep drops--- It is a little better when you can have Someone Special to hold your arm, your hand, you up right and remind you it will be fun and you will enjoy the ride! Oh, and a Cinnamon Churro for the walk back to the car.

No comments: