Friday, July 13, 2012

Application is Key: Fin


I wanted to share one additional writing piece from my weeklong workshop with the Milwaukee Writing Project.

This particular writing assignment was called “In the Hood.” I am sure you may agree that “hood” has a negative connotation, but I am sure this was not the intent of the instructor, and in fact I believe she was trying to be more “hip, then square.”

The Process:

  1.  List the address or locations of homes we lived in from childhood through the present. I was surprised that I was able to remember my house and the address on 38th street in Tucson; where we lived until I was 9.
  2. Select one location and draw a map of the neighborhood. I elected to use Jubilee Hall, where I lived as a Freshman at Fisk University and included aspects of the oval the additional halls, grounds and sorority plots in my map as “the neighborhood."
  3.  In adding additional detail to the map we also recorded random, but key events/ideas. For instance, no one is permitted in the middle of the oval!  
  4.  Following being random, we were then requested to be specific and record ideas that related to: weird neighbors, memorable conversations, music, games, machines/technology, tv/pop culture, nature and odd details as well. Of course I included things such as: Biggie, Tupac, Jodeci, A Tribe Called Quest, getting an Email address, instant messaging and Ricky Lake! 
  5.  At this point, each person recorded a major event that took place in their neighborhood as a narrative. I have shared mine below and now that steps are listed above, I encourage you to try this, you will be surprised what you recall!!


Living in Jubilee Hall as a freshman was an amazing experience! I remember meeting young women from all over the world- literally! And while we each had different backgrounds/experiences, etc. We all had one common goal—TO KILL THE ROACHES!

Roaches, as they called themselves, a small dog as I referred to them were prevalent all to frequently in our dorms. Being from the “North” I had never seen roaches quite this large! In fact, I do not really remember seeing roaches period when growing up, but knew this was unusual! We would be reminded frequently by Mrs. League, the dorm mother, to refrain from keeping food in our rooms, but you can imagine how that worked out.  One particular day the largest roach I had ever seen in my life was cruising down the hallway. Of course we had the bright idea to not only kill it, but torture and burn it as well.

1 can of hairspray + 1 lighter = 1 DEAD ROACH! Or so we thought… In reality we chased the roach, lighting him up several times and he refused to die! It literally scurried from 1 side of the hall to the other and under another unsuspecting victim’s door—still alive to torture US another day. THIS of course would not be our last encounter with the roaches of Jubilee Hall; good thing I only lived there for a year.

No comments: