Monday, July 7, 2008

My Last Day...1 Week Later


Well, today marks 1 week since I have been complete with my time and season at Hunters Bend and WCS. I originally intended to post last Monday, on my last day, but I didn't. I postponed my thoughts, simply because I didn't know what to say. I assure you it was NOT one of the issues of "Mom's Rules" and nothing nice to say, I just was simply speechless and when it was all said and done a bit numb.
The day started like any other. Got up and went for a run, I did 4 miles and just felt good and strong, followed with a little yoga to stretch it out and Here is a cute picture of my last day fit, trying to go for the Italianesque feeling...
Some final principal duties of course had to be addressed. Including a PTO meeting, changing of the guard and all, taking payroll to central office, and several teachers and families coming by to say a final farewell. Of course, wouldn't you know, on my last day, I end up working late! I was there until about 6:30 finishing class placements, checklists, notes for some, and downloading my files, etc. So much to the point I missed my CAD class, but trust me there are no tears on that one!
If I can capture my final thoughts...
I walked towards the door grabbing my bag and preparing to turn out the light and it hit me. This was the last time I was going to turn out the light, this is the last time I am walking out the door, and not coming back "tomorrow." This was the moment that had taken six years to build to and seemed like forever since May 1st. Had it really arrived?
The keys are sitting on the desk for Mike, the new principal. When I leave, I am really gone. Whoa... see, numb! I paused just outside of my office threshold and offered a prayer to God, simply thanking him for the opportunity and the ones to come. No tears, just that glossy look, you know; the one if you blink too hard they will start to fall. Then I flounced on to the exit door. From my car I took one final reflective look, an exhale and got in my car to pull away. I still have a thankful heart and pretty much still speechless; in spite of what's listed above.

No comments: