Monday, June 23, 2008

1919

Ciao Familia~
Well, I wish I had better news to share, but unfortunately there has been a bit of a snag last week with the final paperwork needed for the VISA. Here is the short version...

Around the 13th I had problems with the US government. Not like I was a spy or anything. Like most folks, I applied for financial aid. But I got an email from the Feds (not really the feds, but the US DEPT of Ed, which in a sense are the Feds), saying they couldn't process it. My SS# was found, but my name, and birth date didn't match. Talk about a scare of identity theft! Because of this, SACI couldn't create my student aid report (SAR) which is what I need to take with me to Detroit, to show the Italian Consulate that I won't be a burden on the country, etc. It is just a web, dominoes... Each step is contingent on the last step. So although I have my stuff together, this snafu, effects everything else.

So I started researching and pretty much used all last week to call and visit and pray. This was pretty frustrating, because like any major organization filled with bureaucracy no one talks to anyone else! Turns out the name and SS# were correct, but my birth year was listed as 1919!! In addition, out the 4 groups I was working with (SACI, FAFSA, NSLDS, TN DOE,etc.) only one group had it incorrect, but that effected everyone else. So after multiple calls, emails, faxes, pin number changes, they finally got the correct year. The ironic piece, I started with calling folks in TN, who sent me around the world, LITERALLY, just to come back to TN to get it fixed who had to also call someone in FL.

So now that it is correct... I am waiting for the school to complete there part and send me the final paperwork. I have to call the school on Tues, because my contact is out today. The real crazy part, I am speaking to one person in NY and the other in Florence. I can kind of laugh about it, but not really, I will laugh after I get back from Detroit! Maybe...

HERE ARE THE NEXT STEPS...
1. I plan to go to Detroit toward the end of July. So this is more like a back step or would that be a sidestep?
2. On Saturday, my dinner club is having a garage sale. So I plan on putting several items in that!
3. Some good news, speaking of selling. I sold my piano! This is a blessing, it is too much and too hard to try to move, so I am glad it has found a new home.
4. My last day with the county is quickly approaching. I have so much to do, so I am ready for the last day. I have pretty much cleaned out my office, I have about one more small load. There was actually less then I realized, once I started recycling!!

No comments: