Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Si, Possimo

Si, Possimo! ~Yes, We Can!!
Let me preface this post by saying I realize I may loose some readers, but hopefully no one will be offended. If you are offended or lost, just follow the bread crumbs back to a reality check.

These are my thoughts and as a Black Woman living in Europe, during this time and season, I have to share the perspective of the election through my eyes as my feet stand upon the soil that is Firenze.

Everywhere I would go, from the time I arrived in Italy, people would ask me. "Are you American?" My response, "Si, sonna Americana," (Yes, I am American.) "You like Obama. Did you vote?" These questions came more readily as the election drew closer. In addition, they would often lead to a lengthy discussion of how you don't ask who people vote for, how it is considered rude and people don't talk politics. Only to receive the retort. "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, but did you vote Obama, you voted Obama didn't you?" Each time I would NOT give them a definite answer, but today I stand here and say YES, ITALY I VOTED OBAMA!! Originally I was going for McCain, I know, please close your mouths, but after he picked Palin, it was over for me. The arguments about inexperience and such, went out the window.

Keep in mind, I am SEVEN hours AHEAD and had an Italian mid-term to focus on, so I couldn't go to the huge election party here in the city. Nevertheless, I spoke to both my parents about 2 in the morning Florence time, which of course was WAY to early American time to find out what was happening. I told my mom call me when its over, I have to go to bed! The call went like this:

Approximately 5:30am (Florence time); low and sullen tones.
Me: Hello
Ma: Hi Baby, It's over.
Me: Did he win?
Ma: He won!
Me: What, we have a black president?!
Ma: Yep.
Ma & Me: Silence... tears...

As I walked the streets of Florence today I had a bit of a swagger. Almost to the point of John Travolta, but not that corny. I was so proud to be an American! I was so proud to catalog this day from behind my lens. Catching people discussing the election results, reading the paper, sporting their Obama gear. I purchased two newspapers today at the stand down from my house, the owner said. "Vivo Obama!" My response, "Si!"

So now, I continue to pray for our nation, for our world, that God would lead him in the selection of an administration, protect him from those who would want him to fall, and guide him so he will not fail, etc.

No comments: