Monday, April 6, 2009

Natural Disaster

This morning, about 4:57am I had a call. It was my mom asking, "Are you OK?" Now, at this point in the morning, seeing HER call ME, I'm thinking something has happened at home. But this was not the case, she goes on to tell me how there has been an earthquake, that it is in Southern Italy. After a very brief geography lesson and my mom settling her nerves I head off back to sleep.

When my day is really going, I soon realize that it was a MAJOR earthquake... Some people, who live close to the Arno River, report feeling vibrations... It is all anyone is talking about and my FB page and email are filled with questions of concern. At the time of this post already 150 people are dead and 15,000 injured. Most of the people are elderly, the quake struck so quickly and so early in the morning, there was no time to react.

Riding home today, on my bike, I began to just offer thankfulness in a state of reflection. Since I have been in Europe, I have missed the riots in Athens, Greece by about a month or two, the riots in London, by about three weeks and now this, by about 70 miles. All I can say, is God has truly kept his hand upon me as I have been living in "a strange land."

And now, as I prepare to re-enter back into the land I know (and I use that term very loosely) I try to think what is ahead. I feel so out of loop!! I have 2 friends who have had babies, another who is due later this year, I try to read an article or two a day about our new president and what he is up to. And I ask my friends the latest. The good thing, I am all caught up on Desperate Housewives! Seriously, I am not sure what to expect once I return. I know I am at a point where I feel it is time. It is time for me to reconnect with my peeps!

Please keep these Italian families in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments: