Monday, September 15, 2008

Lost in Translation

Ciao Ragazzi! (hello everyone)

Here are two posts in one, life has been so busy with the first week of classes, I am not quite sure where to begin. Nevertheless, here goes...

To explain several inquires about last week's post... SWIM FINS. These lovely items were simply requested to help me from sinking in the abyss of naked people and classes. Heh, give me a break, I haven't carried a full load since '97.


My article for The Florentine comes out on Thursday! I will be sure and make a post with the link. I am waiting for my next assignment, but I am also hunting out the story as well. Watch out Lois Lane!

I decided to drop and add a few classes. I have elected to take photography as my new focus, instead of drawing. Now mind you, I am still being hunted down by the naked people, as alas, I still have figure drawing, but I no longer have to focus there. Along with photography, I will also study video. I think this will be pretty cool. Now the ham will be behind the camera instead just in front of it! I will be sure and keep you posted.

This Saturday I went to Ravenna for the day. It is just past Bologna and the birthplace of Mosaics. This is the latest slide show. Please know, I did my best to capture the splendor... but it still pales in comparison of actually seeing these life size pieces of art. Believe it or not, there was even a wedding going on in one of the basilicas we visited, which brings me to this weeks smile moment.

Since I arrived, I have been keeping a running tab of when Italians have used American phrases, slang, or other comments that were obviously lost in translation. Caveat, before I go into the running tab of Lost in Translation comments, I do want to add, that I am pretty sure there is some cute little Italian girl (she has to be cute, they all are) who has jotted down one of my errors as well, when I was trying to share THEIR language!
  • Today, when looking at a photo of trapped baby raccoons in a dumpster, my Grad Seminar professor exclaimed. "Ahhh, they got caught with their hand in the marmalade." Uh, I think he meant cookie jar.
  • While in Ravenna, we past a wedding that was playing the graduation march as their pre-music for the ceremony.
  • I have been asked where I am from more then I can count. I am sorry to report, almost no one has heard of Tennessee. In fact, they often say, Hennessey when repeating it back to me and then begins a long drawn out discussion. So I think I am just going to say I am from NY and be done with it.
  • Here is one about the lovely Italian men... walking through the mercato (market) I am often, what's the word, approached, uh, greeted. Yeah, greeted with varied salutations. On this particular day, a "gentleman" who says some form of hello daily, told me "You're like honey." I believe he meant to say, I was sweet. I hope so... *insert shutter here*

One final thought, I dropped Fresco painting to take video, but I do want to add, I never had a college professor serve me Peach Bellini's after lunch for as I worked. I LOVE ITALY!! Thank you God for the opportunity....

Va Benne! (as well)

No comments: